Overcoming Demon Harassment
(A seven point plan)
Are you being oppressed by demons in your home or life? Are strange things occurring? Are there noises? Have you sought help from a pastor or deliverance ministry? Sadly, instead of these efforts helping, sometimes things get worse. These efforts can give demons open access to your life that was taken away at the cross. This plans comes from Roger Morneau and is outlined in an interview contained in one of the links below. The follow are my words, but follow his outline.
Notice what the Bible says about God’s redemptive power over the powers of darkness and our liberation:
Luke 10: 19 “Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents
and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall
by any means hurt you.”
2Cor 10: 4,5 “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but
mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments
and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God,
bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ”
James 4: 7 “Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil, and he will
flee from you.”
Col 2: 10, 15 “And you are complete in Him, who is the head of all
principality and power.... Having disarmed principalities and powers,
he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.”
Col 1: 13 “He has delivered us from the power of darkness, and
conveyed us into the kingdom of His dear Son.”
1 John 1:7 “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”
1John 4: 4 “You are of God, little children, and have overcome them;
because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.”
1John 3: 8 “For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that
He might destroy the works of the devil.”
Rev. 1:5 “… and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood…”
Rom 16: 20 “And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet
Rev 12: 11: “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and
by the word of their testimony.”
Steps for overcoming this presence:
1. Demons have the right to stay with wherever there are objects that bear the taint of their defilement. Therefore get rid of anything you may have that belonged to, or was developed by, someone who was/is involved with the spirits of the dead (this could even be a Bible that belonged to someone who was involved in this way). Also remove and get rid of any and all material/literature/objects that you have been given by, or relating to, any deliverance ministries, for some of these activities also give demons open access to you.
2. Do not speak to demon spirits for any reason, not even commanding them to leave in the name of Jesus Christ. In the Bible Jesus cast spirits out of people, but FORBADE the spirits to speak. He forbade their speaking because demons are lying spirits. They will probably say a few words of truth, but they will also express MANY lies, and thus people deceive people. Don’t talk to them; don’t command them. (Note that some people will disagree with this, so pray for wisdom.)
Rather, ask the HOLY SPIRIT to cast the demons out. Jesus told the Jews that He cast out demons through the power of the Holy Spirit (Matt. 12:26-28) and we should do the same. Acts. 19 speaks of Paul going to the city of Ephesus where a large cult area of demon involvement was located. He remained there for two years. These followers had formerly been pagans and were deeply involved with lying spirits. The HOLY SPIRIT did a great work there, including using Paul to bring about special miracles of healing and casting out of demons (vs. 11,12). You can pray and ask the Holy Spirit of God to bring freedom to possessed people remove oppressive manifestations. In doing this work, strongly encourage them to confess their sins, since such a confession brings a great sense of freedom to those confessing.
Note the following: “Earnest persevering supplication to God in faith can alone avail to bring men the Holy Spirit’s aid in the battle against principalities and powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and wicked spirits in high places.” Desire of Ages, p. 431
3. Early each morning read about the crucifixion of Christ (Matt. 27:24-54).
4. Daily ask God for forgiveness of sin, whether in thought, word, or deed. Ask God to remove these things through the blood of Christ, remembering the human heart is desperately wicked. (Jer. 17:9)
5. Plead the merits of Christ.
6. Pray for faith and for the power of Christ to save you.
“Faith is inspired by the Holy Spirit, and will flourish only as it is cherished.” Great Controversy, p. 527
7. Memorize the word of God in order to live a victorious Christian life.
Some helpful links:
More articles on the same subject:
Deliverance Ministries 1
Prayer & Overcoming Satan
Overcoming Demon Possession
Overcoming Satan's Attacks
Overcoming the Power of Satan